Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dining area, taking shape

We finally have a place to sit and eat dinner (that isn't the couch)...how exciting!
 
The screen wall (with translucent plastic inserts) is original to the house and we liked it so much we decided to keep it.  I am however, considering removing the colored plastic inserts. hmmm, I know what you're thinking....get rid of them, right?
 
I have done alot of online shopping here...
This is the Possini White Flower ceiling lamp that I purchased online at www.lampsplus.com
 
 
the wood blinds that I purchased at www.theshadestore.com
 
 
They offer free wood samples so I was able to match the wood of the blind to the wood of the kitchen cabinets...it turned out to be a great match!
 

I purchased the black walnut tabletop unfinished from www.tablelegs.com
I finished it (top and bottom) with five coats of satin polyurethane (and sanded with 220 grit sandpaper between each coat).  I loved that I could specify the exact size and detailing for the tabletop at tablelegs.com.  It took a while to receive the order, but it was well worth the wait!
 
 
 
for the table base, I used an assemblage of black iron plumbing pipe- I had seen similar table bases on higher end urban-style tables, and when trying to figure out if I could make my own I came across this DIY project on marybicycles.com  http://www.marybicycles.com/diy-scavenged-butcher-block-tabletop-on-cast-iron-pipe-base/ 
 
 
I borrowed the basic approach from marybicycles, but I needed to adjust the design for a larger table...and I used 1/2" diameter pipe instead of 3/4".  After cleaning the pipe (it sure was greasy), and removing all of the stickers/labels, I spray painted it with Rustoleum Satin Black paint.
 
 
The parts were all just hand tightened- no special tools were needed.
 
 
 
we are very happy with the results- and i especially love having a place to rest my feet!
 
 
oh, and I almost forgot...the rug was purchased at www.o.co

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...