Sunday, November 4, 2012

Backsplash Tile: A work in progress

Yes, a work in progress.  I started installing the backsplash tile three weeks ago- whenever I get a chance (which typically means for just a few hours over the weekend)
 
We selected a glass mosaic tile with 1"x4" tiles set in a running bond pattern.

 
We ordered the tile from www.glasstilestore.com
 
 

I needed to live with it for a while before I installed it...just to make sure that we made the right choice.  So I draped it from the window sill and scrutinized it for days (okay, weeks!)
 
 
Once I mustered the courage to begin, I laid out the tile along the length of the countertop to find out how the tiles were going to land in the space between the windows...I was trying to get the tile to be centered (or close to centered) on those posts.
 
 
We installed adjustable electrical boxes along the backsplash.  With a turn of a screw the entire box moves inward or outward, to adjust for the thickness of the tile.  This is such a great invention...we never have the tile selected when we are rough wiring.  Another benefit- we have been living without a backsplash for the past few months (because we just couldnt decide), so we were able to adjust the boxes to be flush with the drywall until we were ready.
 
 
 
The installation has been pretty smooth.  I was concerned about cutting the glass tile (because I hadnt ever done it), but I found that it cut easily on the wet saw with a brand new blade.  I found when cutting the mosaic sheets that it was better to tape the back of the tile along the cut line to keep the tiles from shifting about.
 
 
Individual tiles cut easily, and cleanly- at least in the beginning.  The saw blade needed to be changed again  once the tiles started splintering alon the cut.
 
 
I am saving the small piecework (between the windows) for last.
 
 
 
so, I still have some tile to install, and then of course I will need to grout everything...just give me about 3 more weeks!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...